Thursday, January 20, 2011

Shalom! I mean, Ahlan! I mean, Ciao! I mean..Bonjour??

Hello! (In whatever language suites you)

Well I hope everyone else is enjoying their January? I know I am! It has been one crazy ride so far, and I'm sure its only about to get crazier..and bumpier. But, thats the thing about rides isn't it? It doesnt matter how 'bumpy' or terrifying they might be, at the end, they're still SO MUCH FUN right? So, for comparisons sake, lets say that right now, I'm on an old wooden roller coaster..the kind they're starting to take down and/or ban back home. SURE, there's a bolt or two missing, and it rattles and shakes and makes a tremendous noise..and you just about get whip-lash from some of the unexpected twists and turns. And your stomache tingles with anticipation as you start to go up that long, steep incline..and then it DROPS to the floor as you break out over the peak and scream your head off. Right now..I'm in the screaming my head off, left my stomache behind, can't stop smiling 'cuz I'm having too much fun phase. But that doesnt mean I still don't have the whip-lash from getting here. Life really IS like a roller coaster kind of ride....good thing I love roller coasters so much?

So last time I checked in, I was getting ready to say goodbye to Haifa. I'm not sure why I found that to be so hard...all I know is, that cold Tuesday morning, while carrying my entire life on my back, my feet were dragging pretty slowly. That last look at Haifa U, at Carmel Mountain..and at the sea..they were long, slow, sad last looks. Leaving, and saying goodbye is never easy, and never should be. If leaving were easy, that can only mean that you didn't have spectacular experiences that you're sad to see go. That you didn't connect with people in the sort of way that makes a goodbye so difficult. I'd rather always have a hard time leaving and have tough goodbyes than not. BUT STILL.

Anywho..so that morning I took a bus, a taxi, another bus, another taxi, and then one more to IRBID, Jordan. Crossing Israel's land borders is never easy, and while I was prepared for that, it was still a long journey. But then, I was back in Jordan AND visiting my host-sister, Rawan at her University! It was SO great seeing her school and her place, and meeting more of her friends. (I think I might have been a little bit too distracting though? As she still had exams..oops??) Her campus is absolutely beautiful..and, it kind of made miss good ol' Madison a bit? (The campus I mean...of COURSE I miss Madison..but, I never thought I'd miss Bascom hill, or library mall or...*gulp* Van Hise???) Then, after she finished her exams, we took the bus (ANOTHER bus) to Amman! Walking back in to that house was a feeling like I can't even begin to describe. This time, it really felt like home, more so than any other. I know I'm always welcome, and I know I'll always have a place there. And its that kind of warming of the heart that almost knocks the breath out of you. I was all smiles as I sat down to dinner with my family. I still can't believe how lucky I am. We had a gerat couple days together..and, again, the goodbye was hard, but, similar to my sentiments upon our last goodbye...I know I'll be going back. And thats the best feeling in the world.


Rawan and I!



I feel like this second family of mine is getting anxious though? I believe I had THREE seperate conversations with THREE different members about when I'm going to be getting married and making babies and making a family. Hmm....haha...now just imagine what you're answer would be when they spring a question on you like, so Kadie....you ARE going to get married right? And make many babies? Haha..it proved for some interesting conversations, thats for sure.

My last night in Amman I went out to dinner with my family to LEBNANI SNACK...which was sort of a favorite haunt for our group back in 2008, it brought back sooooo many memories! And, of course, against my protests, they drove me to the airport afterwards, and did everything in their power to ensure that everything went as well as possible. They are the best second family any girl could ask for...and actually, considering my first family is so amazing as well...I kind of feel like I don't deserve any of them. That I couldn't possibly ever do enough good in the world to deserve the kind of love and blessings that I've been given. (on two opposite sides of the Earth I might add) And then I remember, that no matter WHAT happens, they're my family, they will always be my family..and I don't need to 'deserve' them one way or they other...they're just there. They just are. And my time in Jordan reaffirmed something that I've always known and considered most important. Family really is everything. They are the number one, the top priority, without them, you have nothing...and if life is like a roller coaster..they're the ones that will be there holding you up when you can't seem to stand from all the whip-lash, and the ones high-fiving you when you come off smiling and giggling. Family can never be underestimated...and now I have TWO.


My second family!


*Luckiest girl in the world right here people*

But anywho, then I was back at Queen Alia International Airport, which I haven't stepped foot in since leaving Jordan in 2008. THAT brought back some memories as well. And then..I had a small bit of a hiccup on the amazing time I was having. For the record, dont EVER fly AirBaltic people. Just DONT. I ended up having quite the misunderstanding/trouble with the airline..and, I really don't want to go in to detail, as it will just frustrate and upset me all over again, but it was a nightmare..and I was SO happy to finally fly out. Then of course, I didnt have a direct flight..so, GUESS where I stopped? Just guess....

RIGA. Anyone know where that is? Haha, didnt think so...I didn't. Riga is in LATVIA. Now, does anyone know where that is?? Haha...I was in Latvia for a solid five hours. In case anyone is wondeirng, there is a LOT of snow there. Which. was. weird. It was weird to see it on the ground..so white, so strange-looking...BUT then I was back in the air, and on my way to Rome!!!

Arriving in Rome was one of my favorite landings. It was beautiful, even from the air, and I'm so glad I decided to make the Eternal City my first stop after the Middle East. It was so mountainous, so green, so utterly European, I couldn't help but smile. My first glimpses of the city were filled with awe and wonderment..and the Italian, the wonderful, beautiful Italian, which I don't understand a word of, was music to my ears. YES I miss the harsh Hebrew and the melodic Arabic, that I can follow and keep up with..but, something entirely new? It was so fresh, so direct an example that I was in completely foreign territory. Completely foreign, BEAUTIFUL territory. Here's the thing y'all: Rome. is. BEAUTIFUL. Thats it. It's small, cobblestone streets and tiny, SO European-looking SmartCars, it's clean laundry hanging from the balconies, it's trees, it's churches, it's ruins...its all SO beautiful. After arriving at my hostel (which, and this might go without saying, was also BEAUTIFUL--big surprise), I went out to walk around the center of the city for a bit..and I got lost in my own amazement. My own amazement with the setting I had somewhat suddnely found myself in, and my own amazement at my life in general. I was walking around ROME. Thats HUGE. It was definitely one of those, I-have-no-idea-how-I-got-here moments. I spent my days seeing all I could see in the Eternal City, and my nights trying to figure out where I would be going next and how to get there. I walked EVERYWHERE, and saw everything and listened to everyone. I even realized that I actually understand a fair bit of Italian-thanks 7 years of Spanish language study?? And apparently I look Italian now too? I got stopped SO many times on the street by tourists asking for directions or looking for one place or another. Haha, as if I had any idea? But, at least I looked like I knew what was going on for the most part right?? I also had my first taste of REAL Italian Pizza..and, people.....it was AMAZING. Sitting down at that tiny side street cafe and indulging in something so magically delicious (yes, I stole that from Lucky Charms..get over it), and sipping the glass of house red that came with it, watching everyone walk by was one of my favorite moments of my time so far. It felt so right, so perfect, that I was again stuck by the realization that..I might not know where this path is taking me, but I'm POSITIVE it's the right one.


Lovely litte side-street cafe with AMAZING pizza!


ME! In front of the Trevi Fountain in Rome!



And then, after four too short days in Rome...and three trains later, I'm now in NICE!! The French Riviera is simply stunning, and I can't wait to go out and explore as much of it as I can with my lovely [and quite hospitable] friend Becca. Seeing her face halfway around the world, when I havent seen it for so long was THE highlight of it all. And her apartment is wonderful. I'm not sure where I'm headed next, or what kind of experiences I'm in store for..but I'm sure they'll be amazing.

As of right now..I'm happy, I'm healthy, I'm alive, and I'm living out my dreams. And I couldn't be more grateful or shocked or inspired. Welcome to my life.

And until next time....

"So THIS is what seeing the world feels like....."

No comments: