Monday, November 4, 2013

"It's Not What You Look At That Matters, It's What You See"


Ok folks, I know it’s been a while. I do apologize. Somehow, the last month seems to have just slipped right through my fingers, without my even really realizing it. And now it’s gone and there’s no way to get it back.

I have been BUSY. I’ve been working quite a bit, but when it’s something you love, is it really “work?” We have been working our “bums” off in trying to get everything ready for our big Gym Wizards competition! It’s coming up at the end of the month, and over 500 of our recreational gymnasts will be taking part! I’m SO excited! (But also very much aware of just HOW relieved and tired I’ll be the day after).

In between all my work-days I’ve been spending time with friends, meeting people, seeing some sights, etc. On Tuesday nights and Saturday mornings, I’ve started taking dance classes at Rhythm Productions Dance Center. Then on Wednesday and Thursday evenings I do yoga, then Sunday mornings is my beachfit bootcamp. And then in between all my ‘extra curriculurs,’ I head out to see live bands, check out local restaurants, climb local mountains…you know, the normal stuff. ;)

I honestly can’t quite believe how fast October has come and gone. Wasn’t it just yesterday that I was saying I had been here for one month? And now it’s been two! And I can’t BELIEVE Halloween has happened and is over already! (Which, by the way, is not NEARLY as big of a thing here as it is back home. It’s still celebrated, and some kids still go out trick or treating, but it is in no way as big of a celebration as I’m used to. This year marks the first year of my ENTIRE life that I have not dressed up for Halloween, I’m fairly certain. (we’ll have to double check with my mom to make sure she dressed me up for Halloween when I was a baby). Which just feels….strange. But alas, there’s always next year!

Anyways…on to more updates! Let’s see…a few weekends ago, my friend/coworker and I got to take advantage of the ever-increasingly nice weather and go for a little scooter ride around the peninsula. It was SO nice. I (of course) documented some of our jaunt with photos.

I think this shot is SO cool. The mountains, the bikes, Kristin’s badass attitude. Haha I love it.




We stopped at Boulders Beach (the one famous for the Penguins). Check the penguins just hanging out!





And here are some shots from Fish Hoek Beach (The beach I head to every Sunday morning for a quick workout).

The Shark-spotting system in place.




The cool changing-rooms at the beach. So bright and colorful!



The swimming area of the beach. And yes, that is a shark net. (so the sharks can’t eat you while you’re swimming of course)



Then, last weekend, we had a Staff Outing hiking up to the top of Table Mountain. To the TOP people. It was quite the feat. It took us about two hours, it was HOT and sunny. And a steep climb. But we made it! (and we had all the sore muscles to prove it the next three days!) A tough day, but definitely worth it!
 Here’s our “Before” picture. Just before we began the climb! Look how happy and excited we look!


See that gorge? That’s where we’re hiking to! [It’s still over an hour away at this point…womp womp]



It’s okay..there’s only “1,000 steps more” Haha..someone thought they were being quite funny! There was actually waaaaaaaayyyy more than 1,000 steps more.



BOOM. Mountain. And hey we’re almost there!



Last few steps! Woooo!!



And of course, once we made it to the top, we had to refuel with water and snacks. And shade. Lots of shade.

Don’t be alarmed! It’s just a friendly Dassie! (Which Table Mountain is famous for) 
Find out more here.


Happy hikers! 


Our “After” shot! We made it! Woo hoo!!!


All in all it was a VERY exhausting undertaking, but one that I’m happy to have done. That now marks mountain number 3? Or 4? That I’ve tackled. I’m not actually sure on the count, but I’ll get back to you.

Anyways, then this weekend I had a much more relaxing time. I went out to a nice dinner, had some AMAZING Italian food, and had a beautiful afternoon picnic for a friend’s birthday.

Kristin and I at her birthday picnic! Yay!


OH AND I had my first experience on the metro rail! Haha I hopped on the train from Fish Hoek to Cape Town yesterday (about an hour and 10 minutes ride). It was quite the experience. I swear I could’ve stayed on the train all day just people-watching. There was quite the assortment of amusing folks, let me tell you. And then the train station in town was just the same! I literally sat on a bench and just watched my surroundings for a bit. It’s amazing what kind of a window in to others’ lives and cultures that can be. I saw relationships, traditions, cultural norms, all things that might’ve gone overlooked had I not been paying close enough attention. I fell in love with every single site, smell, and sound (surprisingly, even the unpleasant ones), and I have resolved to take the train again very soon. If only because learning the order of the train stops and stations is helping me learn my geography of the peninsula!

But anyway, I have some VERY exciting plans on the horizon, and I can’t wait to keep everyone updated as far as those go! My biggest news is probably that I’m going to be moving in a few short weeks. Just up the road, not far from where I am now. Shouldn’t be a huge change, but it’s a change nonetheless, which means I’m looking forward to it! Bring on new challenges, and anything unknown! There’s nothing I like more than a new adventure!

And then next weekend I’ll be visiting what I’m told is a FANTASTIC little beach getaway town. Then before I know it, it’ll be the competition, Thanksgiving (which it sounds like I might actually get to celebrate! Keep your fingers crossed! Then it’s the end of the year, then my vacation! I’ll be backpacking from Johannesburg to Cape Town along the East Coast of South Africa with a friend! And then Christmas in Cape Town, and then New Years! (Which my mom, my brother, and his girlfriend, will be joining me for!!) I honestly can’t stop smiling whenever I think of the next two months and all I have to look forward to and be grateful for.

I will try to keep everyone as updated as possible in the next few months! But in case I lag behind again, know that no matter what, I’m keeping everyone back home in my thoughts, my prayers, and my heart, and I am not taking a single day here for granted. I feel very blessed to have learned what a gift every beautiful day here is. And I am so thankful to have so many wonderful people to share such a gift with. (Hmm seems I’ve started celebrating Thanksgiving early?)

Haha anyway, I hope everyone is well back home! And enjoying their fall weather! It’s officially summer here and I could NOT be happier about missing out on what I’m sure is dismal Wisco weather. I love you, I miss you, and until next time! 

No comments: