Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Cuz This is Africa!


I'm jamming to this song right now...and so have gotten my post title inspiration:


So jam along with me for a few minutes? I heard this song on Saturday night...and the band that played it even had us doing the dance you see in the video! I've LOVED the song since it first came out to coincide with the World Cup in 2010 (which was in South Africa). But now I love it even more. I am having a serious love affair with Africa people. For serious. 

Tonight I am packing. And finishing up last minute projects and crossing things off my to-do lists. BECAUSE I leave Thursday night! Vacation!!! YAY! Thursday night I'll be catching a bus to Joberg (it will be QUITE the long bus ride as well...about 18 hours!!!! But at least I'll be able to sleep/relax!) THEN after my arrival in Joberg...my friend Anita is arriving fresh off a plane from the States! And we are just going to have a "jol!" (There's some Afrikaans for you! Jol is like....party, good time, etc). We are going to see some of Johannesburg and then head off! And slowly make our way back to Cape Town along the Eastern Coast of South Africa! We have stops planned in all sorts of different places and I can't WAIT to see a bit more of this big, beautiful country, AND do it all with one of my best friends! 

I'm sure I'll keep everyone updated (or I'm not sure..but I'll try!) and I will DEFINITELY upload pics after we return! Which, OH MY GOODNESS! When we get back to Cape Town it will be Christmas already! Where has all the time gone?!?!?! SUPER psyched to spend Christmas in Cape Town by the way. I have nothing but a fantastic next month or so ahead planned...wish me luck! 

And I could use a bit of a vacation! I LOVE what I'm doing here...but whew! This time of year is just so busy! We had our big Summer Competition a couple weeks ago. It was magnificent! I'm so proud of all the kiddos and the parents and the staff and just everyone. The day came together beautifully. And even though I was EXHAUSTED by then end of it (I slept 11 and a half hours that night!), I still had an amazing time. Check out the videos of some of the action (and see a bit of yours truly!) here: 




But...In between working and trying to get as much done as I can before I leave I've also been able to have a bit of fun as well (haha surprised?). 

Here's some fancy new pics for everyone (well some of them are a bit old actually but I haven't shared any with you all in a while!):

Took a drive one day...nice view of Table Mountain from the coast! 

I went ice skating. In Africa. No big deal. 

Love it! 

And here starts the strawberry picking adventure! My basket was FULL by the time I was done! 
Looking out for the best ones! 

Mmmm check out all those delicious strawberries! And the scarecrows!  

A big metal giraffe! 

Not sure what this one is...but I like it! 

Me with the yummiest strawberry daiquiri I've ever tasted. YUM.

After our strawberry picking adventure!

More sculptures and scarecrows! Love! 
Ok so these are all metal sculptures lining the strawberry fields. So cool! 



These are from my day at Boulders Beach! (Where the Penguin Colony lives)



I thought this sign was hilarious!



And it wouldn't have been November without a proper Thanksgiving celebration!







Ok 2 more. That's it I promise. First one is our crazy cool Gym Wizards crew at our end of year party. SO FUN! Last one is me at the Kirstenbosch Gardens Summer Sunset Concert on Sunday night. It was a beautiful afternoon/evening, amazing performers, a great crowd, some cool tribal face painting, and an all around top notch end to a wonderful, wonderful weekend.

Photo creds to Derry Thomas. 





So that's my life so far everyone. I hope back home you're all staying warm and driving safe! I don't miss the snow yet...but we'll see how I feel without a white Christmas!

Happy holidays and lots of love from Africa. :)

No comments: