Sunday, January 26, 2014

A Parrot, a Puppy, and a Bucket List

Today is a beautiful day.

It's the kind of day that automatically seems to put a smile on my face when I lift my head to look at the absolutely crystal clear blue sky. The sun instantly (or so it feels like) gives me a thousand more freckles and makes it impossible to harbor any sort of negative/worrisome thoughts. I needed today.

I'm back to work now and "in the swing of things." It's been a rough transition, let me tell you. I think it's because I have never, in my entire life, taken a full month off from working. So after my wonderful holiday and all my visitors, BAM it was back to real life. And my body simply wasn't prepared. (Of course, added to that is the fact that I've started a whole new exercise (I can't remember how to spell 'exercise' in American! AHH!) regime. So with my early morning workouts and late night yoga classes and full time working/coaching in between, I've been fighting with my body and my internal clock quite a bit these last two weeks.

But I think I'm finally evening out and getting used to it all again. Haha...if my mom were here I know she'd say I'm "spreading myself too thin." I think those might actually be her favorite words of caution for me. But my response is always the same, isn't it ma? I'm at my best when I'm busiest.

Welcome to my [somewhat busy..or maybe more than somewhat, depending on your definition] life.

In addition to my new exercise plans/goals/classes, I also (kind of subconsciously) am attempting to tackle a New Years resolution of sorts. I say subconsciously because I never actually sat down and said "I am going to make a New Years resolution and this is how I'm going to set out accomplishing it." But the idea has taken hold of my thoughts and now it won't let go. I have decided to put a little extra effort in to making sure all of my time here really "counts." I want to make each day one worth remembering. I want to force myself in to thinking that maybe my tomorrows really are numbered, so I better start doing the things that make me happy while I can and whilst I'm able.

SO I have created a Cape Town Bucket List. All the things I need to make sure I do while I'm here. I've made it my goal to attempt at least one thing from the list every weekend. So far I'm only two weekends in, and I've knocked a few things off the list, but I have many more to go! So I'll be sharing my stories from those as best I can.

I have been told I'm too young to have a bucket list...because I'm no where near old enough to "kick the bucket" (which is where the expression comes from)...but I disagree. You're never too young to start making the most of your life. You're never too old for that matter either. Life can't always be about 'the next step' or what might happen tomorrow,  or next week, in a month, or a year...or how to make ends meet, or whatever else takes up all our brain space these days. Some days...you just have to BE. You just have to live in the moment and smile because the sun is shining and the world is a beautiful place and you've been blessed with one more day to live in it. It's so easy to get caught up in the worries and stresses we all have. So I'm being proactive about it I guess haha. I guess I'm kind of...trying to turn off my brain a little more, and turn on my heart. I'm trying to remember to laugh at the little things and to do my best to make someone's day every day. And sometimes that someone is me. Sometimes it's a close friend, a gymnast, or a complete stranger. Point is...life's too short. So the more we can all do to make each day that much more enjoyable/memorable/lovable and full of life....the better.

Ok enough with the philosophical stuff haha...

Last weekend, some friends and coworkers helped me tick off the first thing on that bucket list of mine...hiking some of the trails in Silvermine Nature Reserve. Silvermine is right on top of those mountains that separate me from downtown Cape Town. There are some fantastic trails, all within about 20 minutes from where I live. SO I decided it was time to take advantage! 3 hours and too many crazy picturesque viewpoints to count later, I confirmed that "The Bucket List" is officially one of the best ideas I've ever had. It sure was one cool, windy Sunday morning...but it was the kind that really got your heart beating (and not just from physical activity if you know what I mean).

The lake we got to walk around in Silvermine

One of those too-perfect views I was talking about! 

And today I was able to tick off another: going to the Craft Markets and Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens. The craft market only happens on the last Sunday of every month and it is HUGE. All hand made, all local. It was fantastic. And there was literally everything imaginable hidden away like gems in those stalls. I had some amazing little treats and tidbits and somehow made it out of the winding alleys without having spent a fortune. I would definitely go back next month if I'm able to. AND my coworker Ioana and her family were there as well! It was so nice to wander with them. And they made quite the exciting purchase! One of the stalls was run by a local animal shelter and they had all sorts of dogs/puppies up for adoption. You guessed it...they walked away with one!

Welcome Gracie to the Saville family! I was fortunate enough to be able to spend a few hours with this cute little four month old puppy and I'm convinced now I want one too! Who knew you could go to a craft market at the local gardens and come home with a puppy?! I think it's fantastic! And it made our experience at the craft markets that much more special.

This is Gracie!


Next weekend I have plans to tackle even more things off my list, and I've got some exciting ones coming up as well! Can't wait to keep you updated!

BUT FIRST. I have to share my story about the parrot. (I'm sure some of you were wondering how I got the title for this post..or maybe you don't even read the title haha and hadn't noticed). The parrot story. Here goes:

So in my lovely little village of Capri, there have been signs up for a bout 5 days now about a missing pet parrot. It is an African Grey parrot and only 7 months old. The owner of the parrot has been very proactive about getting the word out. She's posted on facebook, she's put adds up all over on the streets, she's mentioned it in local news outlets, etc. She really wanted to find her parrot. She even offered a monetary reward for anyone who might be able to return it to her. I saw the signs on Thursday afternoon and I actually mentioned to a friend of mine that I didn't think the poor owner stood any chance of being reunited with her bird...I figured if it had been missing that many days in this kind of environment...with the heat and the predators etc...I didn't think it would end well....

I was a bit mistaken...

The bird was found! And returned to the owner!

And guess who returned him to her? If you guessed me...you're right! It was me! Yesterday afternoon, I had a couple hours to myself so I decided to enjoy the summer sunshine and lay out by the pool with a good book. And then a PARROT flew over my head and landed in the tree right in front of me! It took me a few seconds to realize it was not a normal bird...it was the one everyone had been looking for! The owner was called, but she was about a 40 minute drive away. So I sat and I watched the parrot and called to it and made funny bird noises at it for about 15 minutes while it just stared at me like I was a lunatic (I don't blame him). Then..after what seemed like forever, he must have decided I wasn't a lunatic, and he flew to land on my shoulder! (I was terrified a little bit by the way). The little guy was SO stinking cute, but you could tell he was a domesticated animal that had been out in the wild for a few days. A bowl of water was produced and then heavily drunk from (the little guys was THIRSTY!), and then an apple was fed to him in little bits/chunks. Slowly, right in front of our eyes, you could see him regaining a bit of strength. When his owner did arrive, she was so excited and emotional that I couldn't help but be affected as well. She tells me he's just about recovered and he's whistling and calling out once more. It was such a small thing, to spend that hour with Baby the parrot...but it was such a big thing too, especially for Baby's mamma. I'm glad that story has a happy ending, and I'm glad I was able to play a part in it. The owner simply said she never gave up faith that she would find him. She prayed and prayed and her prayers were answered. Whatever brought them back together again was a powerful and beautiful thing. So YAY!

Baby the parrot. 

Anyway...that's probably a long enough update for those of you that have jobs and laundry and cleaning and schoolwork and whatever else you still have to get to that you've been putting off to catch up with me and follow what I'm up to. Thanks again for taking the time to do so. I'm not really sure how many people out there continue to want to hear updates/my opinions on life...but for those of you that do, thanks for sharing in my journeys. :)

Until next time! 

2 comments:

Tania Williams said...

I absolutely LOVE reading your blogs and sharing your thoughts! Just love having you here Kadie. You are an inspiration. Tania

Anonymous said...

I hope you are saving some good things on that bucket list for our visit in December. I couldn't be more excited to go on adventures with you! :) You are amazing!
Heather