Wednesday, January 8, 2014

From Coffee Bay to Cape Town!

Well I've just returned home from my first full day back at work! It's a bit of an adjustment let me tell you...I could really get used to this whole month-off thing for Christmas though......

And I've officially received word that my fam is back in Wisconsin! So yay! Time to continue with some pictures and stories of my travels!

Let's see...where were we? I think I left off with when Anita and I were on our way to Coffee Bay from Durban....

Getting to Coffee Bay (which is the coolest little hippie town on the coast) proved a bit difficult. There's no major roads or highways to get there...which means there's no actual infrastructure for transportation. Sooo we took a local taxi. Which is a kind of mini-van type thing that packs WAY too many people in to it. We arrived at the station and it legitimately looked a bit like this:


Now add to that a few goats running around and a woman walking around with a GIANT box of baby chicks on her head, oh AND the fact that it was pouring rain, and you'd have the taxi station in uMkanDule. NO idea how to spell that by the way..and don't worry, I'm even worse at pronouncing it..it has one of those "clicks" in it. Haha I tried so hard to get the name of it right..and I've failed miserably so far. 

BUT ANYWAY, we made it on to a taxi and to Coffee Bay. Our accommodation was BEAUTIFUL and right on the beach. Seriously, imagine a little hut in a picture-perfect paradise and that's where we stayed. After a good dinner and a [fairly-decent] nights' sleep, we woke up the next morning beyond excited to lay on that beautiful beach.

The beach! 

Perfection....

All smiles! 

After our day spent on the beach, we took a nice leisurely 3 hour hike along the coast to a place called "Hole in the Wall" ......(which is literally a giant hole in a giant wall of rock). The hike was BEAUTIFUL. Amazing views and rolling hills and crazy coastlines. One of the best hikes I've ever been on I think!

Some flowers on our hike

I couldn't get over the natural beauty of the green hills contrasted with the blue water. Loved it! 

That's me! 

Again...no words.

The world is a beautiful place

Happy hikers! 

Taking a quick break and taking in the view.

Our guide. He was wonderful! 


Love! 

And here it is folks! Hole in the Wall! See it? See it?! 

There it is! 

We made it! 

After our taxing day of beaching and hiking, we had an amazing meal and met a few entertaining travelers that night. The next day we were pretty sad to leave Coffee Bay...but we were off to the next destination!

We arrived in Port Elizabeth pretty late at night after too many hours spent on a bus. But the next day we got to go to Addo Elephant Park! Read about that here. It was AWESOME! So many elephants! And other animals! Seriously...if you ever find yourself in South Africa...go there. Cannot say enough good things about it. The only  downside to our day was the INSANE heat! It was so hot it hurt to breath haha. Now I know what people are talking about when they use the phrase "Africa hot."



This guy literally came within about three feet of us! 



They were thirsty! 




A Jackal! 

Lions! It took us all day to find them..but we found them! 
Warthog babies! So cute! 


Panaromic shot at the park...Amazing.

This little guy was trying his fastest to cross the road....

Zebras! 


And after the long, hot day in Addo, we returned to the boardwalk in Port Elizabeth for a nice dinner and some much needed sleep! 


From Port Elizabeth we headed towards Wilderness. The name of the town is perfectly descriptive. We found ourselves in the wilderness! With another crazy-beautiful beach at our hands and another National Park with insane hiking trails and gorgeous views, it was easy to fall in love with this place. We rented a couple bicycles and went about exploring!

Taking advantage of my being able to ride a bike with no hands skillz. Taking photos! 

Anita cyclin' away

The beach in Wilderness! The waves were HUGE! 

Another shot of the beach! 

Then we were off on our hike...we had to cross a river using this little pontoon and ropes and pulleys! 



That's where we're headed! 

Slowly but surely! 

We made it! Finally crossed to the other side! 

Our hike ended at a waterfall! 

SO of course we went swimming! 

Best hike ever? 

But then we had to head back...which was a bit more treacherous...

But we made it! Then we came here to watch the sunset. I feel like this picture doesn't even look real! But it is...

Not the best photo of me..but the surroundings! This little river led right up to the sea. 
We had the most amazing time in Wilderness, but all too soon we had to pack our bags for the final leg of our journey, back to Cape Town! We made it in to Town late at night a few days before Christmas and then I had 5 whole days to spend with Anita showing her around all my favorite places! And in between all the touring and sight-seeing we were able to have a FANTASTIC Christmas dinner (shout out to Derryn and her family...it was the best! Thanks!). I was so busy every day that I was barely able to recognize or realize that I was missing Christmas and my family gatherings back home. (which I'm grateful for, it kept me from getting too home sick!).

But anyway, I hope everyone did have a lovely Christmas. It's never easy spending one away from home and family, but as long as you're with good friends and enjoying new experiences, it's not so bad either.

Here's a smattering of photos from our time in Cape Town:
A photo of me and the penguins at Boulders Beach! 

Anita and I enjoying the Cape Town summer! 

Celebrating Christmas with our Santa hats! 

Pulling our very first Christmas Cracker! (kind of like poppers on new years...you pull and they sort of explode with streamers and confetti and there's a little prize inside!) (notice the streamers all over me from a previously pulled Christmas cracker)
All ready for Christmas! 




Then on Christmas Day we decided to hike to the top of Lion's Head. Here's me at the top with Table Mountain in the background! 

Anita and I after hiking Lion's Head

A shot of the 12 Apostles (rock formations) covered in clouds from the top of Lion's Head

Anita and I after another successful hike! 


The views on Chapman's Peak Drive never get old....

Anita and out enjoying some of Cape Town's nightlife!


A leisurely walk through Kirstenbosch Gardens...

Look! It's me! In a tree! 

:)

Then we tried imitating the stone sculptures...



The lighthouse at Cape Point! 

It was WINDY up there! 

At Cape Point! 



Some Ostrich and baby ostrich at Cape Point

A dassie! 

Bo Kaap Muslim Quarter of Cape Town

And then we HAD to do Table Mountain. View from the top! 




 We had an amazing time in Cape Town together and I was so, so sad to take her to the airport when it was time for Anita to go. There is just nothing better than seeing the world and having new experiences with a close friend by your side.

But while I was sad to say goodbye, I was also starting to get excited as my family would arrive in two short days! And those two days went by FAST let me tell you. Between catching up on laundry and running a few errands, making sure all the last minute arrangements for my family's visit were in order AND fitting in a braai and a trip to the beach AND a trip to the movies...(haha) (PS go see the Mandela Long Walk to Freedom movie...it was fantastic) it went by quick!

But alas, this post took way too long and now it's time for bed! So I'll have to share those stories another night!

Disclaimer: none of these photos even remotely do this place and my memories justice, but I hope they give some idea of what it's been like for me here so far!

Until next time!


No comments: