Saturday, April 19, 2014

Chasing that Sunrise: Part 2 - Birthday Shenanigans and Swimming with Sharks!

Can you believe it's the end of April already? That means my favorite month of the year is almost gone! AND it means I can officially start saying I'm 24! (Even though I've been telling people that for months already haha). Anyways....as I reflect on being another year into my life, I can't help but feel supremely fortunate to have seen and done and met all the people I have. THANK YOU to everyone who has played a role, big or small, thus far in my wonderful life. I am so grateful and appreciative. AND I had a WONDERFUL time celebrating the big 2-4! I am convinced Africa is the best place to celebrate birthdays :)

After a fantastic trip to Namibia I returned back to Cape Town and had all the feelings of familiarity and welcome I would associate with coming "home." The very next day was my 24th birthday! It was my first day back at work, but I was surprised with balloons and flowers and very sweet cards at the office! Then after work I had a wonderful dinner with some of my new friends! The next day started with a meeting, but then more cakes and cards and celebrations! And the birthday celebrations rounded out on the weekend with a braai and a beautiful sunset. :)

Flowers sent from across the ocean. HOW did I get so lucky?? 

Dinner, desert, and new friends! 






A sunset on the lake to finish off the birthday celebrations! 


UNREAL but it was real haha. 


I am ONE LUCKY GIRL. Thanks to all who made my birthday special and sent cards and flowers all the way across the Atlantic to me! I am so excited about this next year of my life and cannot wait for what's in store!

Speaking of what's in store...remember that bucket list I've been working on with my remaining time in Cape Town?? Well while everyone back home is enjoying their Spring Breaks and Easter holidays, I have steadily been ticking things off the list! A few weeks ago I was able to check out the Thursday evening market at Cape Point Vinyards! Think: fantastic wine, beautiful sea views, amazing food, and lovely company. It's my new favorite way to spend a Thursday evening!

AND THEN. Last weekend, as my official birthday present to myself, I went shark cage diving! I actually got on a boat with the sole intention of getting in to a small metal cage to go under water and catch a glimpse of some great white sharks! It was so cool! We got to see 6 different sharks! The smallest was about 2.5 meters long and the largest was almost 4 meters long! AND they all swam within about 3 feet of me!!! It was definitely a little bit nerve-racking being that close to the sharks under water, but it was SO cool to see them through my goggles! It's an experience I cannot recommend highly enough! (Although the only downside was the fact that I was sitting in fish guts and bloody fishy water the whole time...yuck!!! But I guess you have to attract the sharks somehow....) The following photos are all ones I took myself on the day with my phone! 



SUNRISE on the way to Gansbaai. SO beautiful! 


The cage! 




Herrrreee sharky sharky sharky....

AHHH! 

Shark fin! 

Me! In a wetsuit! 

I think this one is my favorite lil guy

Now imagine seeing this guy face to face within 2 feet underwater. YUP. That happened! 


I think this is when he bashed in to the cage! 




And on this island there are over 60,000 cape fur seals that hang out




No comments: