Monday, May 12, 2014

Wining and Dining and Adventuring!

Um. WHAT.

It is mid-May people. This means:

a) South Africa is finally done with all these public holidays. Did you know that South Africa has the MOST public holidays of any country in the entire world? Seriously..this week will be the first time I work a full 5 days in a week since the FIRST WEEK OF APRIL!!! It's been quite insane haha. And while I've loved having the time off to play and adventure around, it's messing with my head a little bit! I can't wait to get back to some sort of sense of normalcy.

b) I am experiencing the exact antithesis of "April showers bring May flowers." It's slowly moving in to Winter here in Cape Town and the rain has started..along with the FREEZING temperatures! (okay, not really freezing..the lowest it's gotten is maybe about 50 degrees...but still! Brrrrr!!!!!)

c) I have less than one month until I get to go back to good ol' Wisconsin for a few weeks to visit!! Yay! I can't wait! My countdown has begun! Crazy to think I'll be home so soon. I officially arrive back in the Dairy State on Sunday, June 8th. Sooooo see you then??

BUT I've certainly been enjoying my time here while I have it! Here are a few photos of some of the things I've been up to:

Prince Albert
Over Easter weekend I headed to the "Karoo" for a chill weekend of hiking and braai-ing and relaxing!

[Side note, check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karoo for more info on the Karoo and what it's all about!]

We drove up the Swartberg Mountain pass and got to see some CRAZY good views! Then we did a bit of hiking through the mountains as well! It may not have been Easter lunch and dying Easter eggs, but it was a fun way to spend my Easter Sunday!
Winding roads, mountain views, and the sunset beginning. This is my happy place. :)

Heather and I! Photo creds: John Brock

Another beautiful part of South Africa! Photo creds: John Brock

A bit of bubbly, good conversation, and an amazing view. What more could a girl ask for? Photo creds: John Brock



The sunset really started to heat up then...it was beautiful! One of the best I've seen so far! 
Boom. This is real life. True African sunset. 

After driving through the mountain pass! Stunning! OH and PS - I opened out bottles using nothing but my own hands and a nearby rock! So proud of my new life skill!! Hahahaha. Photo creds: John Brock

Stunning. Simply stunning. 

Me! And some mountains! 

Not sure if anyone can guess...but this says "The Top" in Afrikaans....

Time for an Easter morning hike guys! 

Take me to a mountain top any day and I'll have the biggest smile on my face, gauranteed. :)

Mountain mountain mountain

Some mountain tea after hiking all the way to the top! That a view of the town where we stayed! (Called Prince Albert).


Porch sitting. My FAVORITE!
Stellenbosch
Then a few weekends ago I headed to a fun little University-town just a bit outside Cape Town that's known for it's wine farms! It was a full day of wine tastings and pairings (did you KNOW there is such a thing as a wine and PIZZA pairing??!) and beautiful scenery with fantastic company!

BUT on my way to the wine farms that morning...there was a little baboon family running around my neighborhood! Ha apparently they frequent my street, I just have never seen them before! Until now!


I SEE you baboon!! I SEE YOU!!! 
Baboon butt. Sorry. Had to. Hahahahahaha.
And no worries, I promise I pulled over and took these pics. I was NOT driving and taking photos at the same time (mom). Haha now where was I? OH YEA! WINE!

Champagne tasting and Nougat pairing! Photo creds: Heather Waisanen

Wine region. LOVE. Photo creds: Heather Waisanen

Wine and CHOCOLATE pairing! The best! Photo creds: Heather Waisanen

Mmmmmmmmm

Well, now I've officially seen everything. Wine and PIZZA pairing. It was absolutely delicious of course!!! 

Cruisin' on Table Bay
After our wonderful wine weekend, on one of those many public holidays I mentioned, we had some beautiful leftover summer weather. So of COURSE we decided we needed to spend some time out on a boat! We took a cruise on a catamaran sail boat around Table Bay. Not only did it feel amazing to be out on the water again (I can't believe how long it's been since I've been on a boat!! NOT OKAY!!), but we got to take in some seriously breathtaking views of Cape Town and Table Mountain from the sea!

For as long as I can remember, I've always loved the sea. 

I'm on a boat!! 

One of my new FAVORITE shots of Table Mountain and the Cape Town Stadium! 
This one's pretty good too though! Photo creds: Heather Waisanen

Just cruisin'

And then of course..another stunning sunset. Welcome to my life. 




Notes on Joining the South African National Circus
Okay..not really. I'm just kidding! Haha but I DID take a silks workshop...you know, where the people hang from those giant strips of fabric hung on the ceiling and they twist and twirl and climb and stuff? YEA. That. Haha it was so fun! And it was in a giant circus tent.....so...who knows?? It was quite the workout though! Sheesh!
Upside dowwwwwwwwnnnnn.

WHOA there. Almost fell. Almost. 
Oh you know, just hanging around! 
This one's called the "cacoon" haha! Love it!


























Anywho....Safe to say I'm one lucky girl. I get to live in the most beautiful place in the entire world, I have met the most amazing people during my time here thus far, I get to go home for almost SIX WEEKS, and then I get to return to South Africa for even more adventuring! Sometimes I'm not sure it's all real..like maybe I need to pinch myself a few times to double check. But nope. This is it. This is my one life I've been given, and this is how I'm living it.

A few weeks ago I was able to have a quick skype chat with one of my ALL TIME favorite teachers and some of her students. They were asking a few questions about what it's like to live in South Africa and what I think about some of my experiences here so far. It really got me thinking about where I've been (figuratively and literally) and where I might be going. While I may not have all the answers yet...I can't but feel like I'm asking the right questions! So shout out to those high school students back in Poynette, WI for reminding me what's most important. :)

Here's to never slowing down and always living in the moment.

Until next time! 

No comments: