Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Reflections of a Wanderer

Well it's officially here. My last night in the U.S. after the most amazing few weeks I could have hoped for. I've said all my goodbyes, and I've packed all my bags. In just a few short hours I'll be boarding another plane and heading back to my "home" in Africa. While I am really, really excited to be returning to Cape Town and to get started on the next half of my little adventure, I am also sad to be leaving home. But I feel so incredibly lucky. I've gotten to see all my favorite people and places, eat all my favorite foods (get at me brats and bagels), and indulge in all my wacky American guilty pleasures once more (helloooo Netflix).

I've also learned a few things here and there. I feel like this holiday has really brought some things full-circle for me. It's reminded me of some very important life lessons and mottos, and taught me a few new ones here and there as well.

Here are 10 things I learned during my time home after [almost] a year abroad:

1. I have literally the best family in the entire world. You can pretend to disagree, or think yours might come close. But trust me, mine is THE best. I can feel the endless love and support in every hug, every smile, every message I get. And when a member of that family is in need or is going through a tough time, everyone steps up to the plate and blows you away with their kindness and encouragement. I've seen it a few times now in my short life and I cannot help but think I would have never made it this far without them. (Let's be real, I wouldn't have).
Me and my bro. 

Also, I have the most adorable grandparents in the entire world. And as they celebrated 60 years of marriage together, I got to witness what true love really means. It was so nice to get to see everyone and be reminded for the umpteenth time why this will always be my home.

Grandpa and I at our family reunion, one day after the 60th anniversary celebrations. :) 


2. The best kind of relationships (be they with family or friends) are the ones where you can be gone, or far away, or *ahem* out of the country for a year or so, but when you reunite, you can pick up exactly where you left off like nothing has changed. Those kind of friendships are the ones you know are going to make it through all the trials and experiences life is going to throw at you. And I learned I'm lucky enough to have quite a few of those friendships. I might not get to go out with my friends every other weekend like the average person, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy close, significant relationships, even from a million miles away. Anyway...moral of the story, my friends are ALSO the BEST.

3. You can take the girl out of the country. But you can't take the country out of the girl. And by "country" I mean country music. Haha. (who knew that line was actually true?!) I may be a "world traveler" of sorts, but I will never NOT have fun stompin' my boots in the mud to some good ol' fashioned country music with an ice cold Wisconsin-made drink in my hand. Country music is literally the sound of my soul. Plus I just love wearing cowboy hats. :)





4. Cheese curds are the world's most amazing delicacy. FACT.

5. Trying to re-learn how to drive on the "right" side of the road is a lot more difficult than one would imagine. It's amazing how difficult it was for me to switch back to a different side of the road again. Amazing. And now I'm worried it will be even more difficult to switch AGAIN upon my return to Cape Town. Guess we'll have to see?

6. It's really easy to forget that Americans don't use the world 'petrol.' And it's been really weird having to pump my own gas again. Also, motor vehicles should have a better way of letting you know which side the gas cap is on...so you don't have to turn around at the pump a million times and look ridiculous (yes that was me if any of you witnessed it).

7. I love weddings. Period.

A beautiful wedding for a beautiful friend. Photo creds: Kevin Korth


8. Wisconsin is VERY humid in the summer. And also very sporadic with her weather patterns (I've known this my whole life...but I kind of forgot? I guess?) I've worn everything from a swimsuit and been dying of heat to jeans, a sweatshirt, and a scarf and been shivering. All within a week or so span. Ridiculous. Also tornados are NOT fun. They are scary and damaging and there are way too many of them. Also Wisconsin sunsets definitely give the ones in Cape Town a run for their money. Who knew?

Sunset on my grandparent's farm. Surreal. There is no editing on this photo.


9. Apparently my brain works on a very different wave-length from everyone else. Apparently people think my life style and the choices I make (like going to live in Africa) are strange, different, abnormal, weird, etc. Funny. It seems so completely normal and first-nature to me. I guess that's what makes the world an interesting place though? Having everyone be so different?

10. And last but certainly not least...Life isn't about the big things. It's not about where you live or what you do. It's about the little things. It's about waking up in the morning and having a cup of coffee with someone you love. It's about the people you surround yourself with. Not the things. It's about laughing so hard you're crying and smiling so much your cheeks hurt. It's about seeing the adventure in every-day scenarios and never settling for being unhappy. Life is SHORT. My trip home reminded me of that once again. It can be taken from you in the blink of an eye. You never know exactly what is "just around the river bend." So make each moment count.

It's the little things. :) 


Well folks. That's all for now. Those are my musings for the time being. I cannot wait to be back in South Africa and see everyone there! Coming soon to a blog post near you: My life in Cape Town: Take 2!

Until next time....

No comments: