Thursday, April 7, 2016

Birthday Musings

Today is my 26th birthday.

I am officially 26 years old. That's 312 months. That's 1355 weeks. That's 9490 days. (Well...I'm rounding...but you get the idea). It is now officially impossible for me to deny my 'adult' status any longer (sadly).

So it felt like it was as good of a day as any for a new post. It is one my favorite days after all!

You see, exactly one year ago today I returned back to Wisconsin after leaving my life halfway around the world. I returned home with a heavy heart and with no clue what the next year of my life would entail. Here's the thing though - I truly believe the best years of my life are the ones that sneak up on me, the ones that are unplanned for and unprepared for. I would have never guessed exactly one year ago today that I'd be ringing in my 26th birthday the way I am, but there you go. Who can guess where they'll be exactly a year from now anyway? Or 5 years? Or 10?

What is my POINT exactly?

Good question. It is this: life is wonderfully, beautifully unexpected. Embrace the beauty and the unexpected. It really is what you make of it. Nothing about my everyday life is even remotely familiar to what it was at age 25...but that's okay. Welcome even. And I can only hope that 26 switches it up on me even more.

Here's the thing about birthdays...they're inherently reflective. (I think it's that whole fact that they come around once a year at the same time every year?). Either way, they force you to look back and reflect on where you've been and how far you've come. I can't help but look back at my first 25 years and feel supremely lucky. Thank you to everyone who's been a part of my version of this crazy wild ride they call life. I love each and every one of you. Here's hoping the next 25 are filled with just as much fun, just as much laughter, just as many adventures, just as many rainy days, just as many friendships, and just as many beautiful sunsets (if not more). I am so, so excited to see where we go!


No comments: