Monday, September 29, 2014

The Long Trip Home....


Oh to be that girl wandering, wandering, continuously wandering. In airports and train stations, down the streets and sidewalks of that far-off, unnamed city. With a sort of effortless but purposeful glide to the way she walks. Slightly bohemian, but utterly classic at the same time.

Haha. I’ve seen this vision of this girl in countless places in all my travels. And a small part of me always aspires to me like her.

And then it hit me. Maybe…maybe a small part of me is like her already?

I certainly feel like the endless wanderer at this point. I am in my 4th airport so far of this monstrous trip home. I’m sitting at London’s Heathrow airport doing what I do best - people watching! And I’m reflecting on my absolute love of airports and the different kind of people you find in them.

So far each of my journeys have been via Qatar Airways – a first for me. And I must say, they have been phenomenal! And the constant Arabic language that has surrounded me since the moment of takeoff was a welcome breath of fresh air. To see it written everywhere, to hear it read over the loudspeakers, and to hear my fellow passengers conversing. And landing in Doha, even though I’ve never been there before in my life was like coming home. I felt the same giddy sense of relief I feel when flying in to land in Chicago.

It’s funny how life works hey? It’s funny how, by a random coincidence, my flight back to the U.S. took me to the Middle East first. And that random coincidence forced some very sudden realizations on my part. The last however many hours have jolted me in to remembering…and reflecting. (And realizing how rusty my Arabic has become! Yikes!)

Anyway, I don’t particularly know that these musings have a point just yet. But I thought I’d share them with you all anyways. (And let’s be honest, I am running out of things to do as I still have 2.5 hours left of this particular layover haha).

BUT some further highlights of the trip thus far: Qatar Airways has an insane in-flight movie catalog. Like literally hundreds. Including all the Harry Potter movies! And classics! (I definitely watched a little Breakfast at Tiffany’s! AND then I spent a good half hour at the Tiffany & Co. store in Heathrow haha. Trying to find my inner Holly Golightly I suppose!).

Also, as if I need to be keeping score, I’ve had 3 (yes THREE) different airline officials/immigration personnel comment on my smile so far. Haha apparently I should smile more often? Because it sure is getting me lots of compliments!

OH and Qatar Airways uses real cutlery on their flights! Like a proper knife with your dinner! How crazy is that?! When we are not even allowed to take nail clippers on board? Haha made me giggle.

The next leg of my journey is with an American airline (I won’t name names here) and I am somewhat sad to say goodbye to stellar service and actually getting my money’s worth. Ah well. Soon (well not too soon, I still have a good 12 hours to go!) But soon I will be landing in Chicago and I’ll get to spend some time with my very favorite people in the WHOLE world. (And my very favorite cat!).

I can’t wait. I’ll be sure to let you know how it goes.

Forgive my tangents and my randomness! And I’ll see you all on the other side of the Atlantic!

Until next time….

No comments: