Sunday, April 12, 2015

Cape Town: The Finale



These past few weeks have been SO surreal.

One minute, I'm surrounded by friends from all walks of life taking in the beauty and serenity that is Cape Town, South Africa.

The next second, I'm bustling along on the New York City subway trying my best to pretend I'm a local - stopping off to fight my way through the line to get an AMAZING bagel early in the morning.

And then just a moment later, I'm back HOME. Spending time with my family, laughing at their jokes, soaking in all things Wisconsin, and snuggling with the very best cat EVER.

It has been a crazy few weeks but now that I have a bit of time to sit down and reflect on it all, I can't help but look back and smile.

Let's start from the beginning shall we?

My last two weeks in Cape Town some very good friends traveled to visit me! Not only did I get to catch up with some of my favorites, but I got to show them how AWESOME South Africa is too!

Only a few short hours after arriving, we hit the beach! (Of course!). Then, the very next day, we hit the ground running (or hiking rather!) and we hiked up Table Mountain! I feel as if I'm a seasoned veteran of Table Mountain by now! But those views certainly never disappoint!


They made it! The gang on Long Beach in Noordhoek!
From left: Quin, Taylor, Me, and Patrick! (Missing: Madeline...as she was taking the photo!)
[Photo cred: Madeline Dugolenski]
And here we go a hikin' [Photo cred: Quin Knuteson]
The girls mid-hike!
[Photo cred: either Quin or Pat while using Taylor's camera...it's unclear hehe]

Sigh....Cape Town. How I miss you already. As seen from the top of Table Mountain.
[Photo cred; Quin Knuteson]

And one more panorama shot just for good measure. Stunning, right?
[Photo cred: Taylor Hebel]


In addition to hiking and beaching it, we did all sorts of other fun things too! Like sunset cruising (and be careful, when the skipper says you WILL get wet if you sit up front..believe him!), shopping, wine tasting (duh....is there anything else to do in Cape Town really?), brunching and lunching, and ziplining! Here are a few photos of our shenanigans:

Maddie, Taylor and I before the cruise left the dock! (We are still dry)
[Photo cred: Patrick Falk]

The gang on the sunset cruise! Please notice how not-dry we all are at this point....


But, it was all worth it to see this beauty! Another amazing Cape Town sunset in the books!
[Photo cred: Taylor Hebel]


First official wine tasting! Raka wines! (Let's not dwell on the face that it was 9:30 in the morning shall we?)
[Photo cred: Taylor Hebel]

Another wine tasting to start another day! At Cape Point Vineyards in Noordhoek.
And at the oldest wine estate in South Africa! Groot Constantia! 

Taylor, myself, and Maddie in Hout Bay!
[Photo cred: Either Pat or Quin]
Some face painting at the Hout Bay Market!
[Photo cred: Quin Knuteson]

Ziplining! Woooo!!!
We also just HAD to go on safari! (One last time for me!) This was by far the rainiest safari experience I've had, but was still up there with being just as much fun! And while we missed out on some animals (like elephants), we still got to see a lot of really cool animals! (Like cheetahs!). I know it might be a while before I get a chance to go on another African safari, so I'm glad I had this one with some great friends to tide me over for a while. 
Maddie and I in front of our bush villa!
[Photo cred: Taylor Hebel] 

[Sigh]....so beautiful....
[Photo cred: Taylor Hebel]

Hey there lil guys!
[Photo cred: ]
SO cool.
[Photo cred: ]


This bug guy was chasing after some wildebeest!
[Photo cred: Quin Knuteson]

Gerry the giraffe! (I gave him that name..doesn't he look like a Gerry?)
[Photo cred: Quin Knuteson]

On a rainy game drive!
[Photo cred: Madeline Dugolenski]

WHOA. Hi there.
[Photo cred: Madeline Dugolenski]
Oh hey there Mr. Springbok. I see you!
[Photo cred: Madeline Dugolenski]
    
Grazin'
[Photo cred: Madeline Dugolenski]
Safari living


After returning from our safari road trip, we just HAD to visit Boulder's Beach one last time! I had to say goodbye to all the cute little penguins! 



Taylor and I with some penguins in the background! 
The whole gang after spending an afternoon with the penguins! 

But saying goodbye to the penguins was actually the least of my worries. I had quite a few more difficult goodbyes to say to my Cape Town "family."


Heather, Holly, Stef and I. Our last Cape Town sunset together.
[Photo cred: Jack Marriott]

All my co-workers! Such a fun bunch!


We might all look happy, but this was my very last night in Cape Town...saying some last goodbyes!

 And then, like sand through the hourglass.....(Days of Our Lives anyone??), haha but really. Far too quickly for my liking, my plane was taking off and taking me away from Cape Town for who knows how long. South Africa was the most incredible experience and taught me more than I could ever even begin to articulate. The people, the animals, the sea, the mountains....they all have stolen a small piece of my heart that I don't think I'll ever get back. I know that right before I fall asleep at night, I'll always remember the spray of the sea and the smell of the salt...the warm sand between my toes. And I know that whenever I think of Cape Town, I'll think of lots of laughter, the BEST friendships, really good wine, and the burn in my legs from hiking just a few more meters before stopping to take a break. My heart is heavy with the realization that this time I haven't just left for a visit...that I really won't be going back.

But as they say...all good things must come to an end. And if my [ahem!] 25 short years have taught me anything thus far, it's that goodbyes are never forever, and change is almost always a good thing. So - onwards and upwards! To the next great thing, whatever that may be!

I'll fill everyone in more soon! Up next: stories of my time in NYC! Until next time!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You will miss her and South Africa will miss you too K-Ray. After all my travels there sure is no more beautiful a city than Cape Town, she truly is the mistress of my heart. Safe travels amigo and keep on keeping on, this World was meant to be explored, not simply observed on TV. RitchieD